The law on anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour has a negative impact on local communities and the law gives the police and local authorities the power to take action.

There are many acts which may constitute anti-social behaviour and are also criminal offences and people who commit them may be arrested.

Criminal damage, for instance, is a form of anti-social behaviour and is against the law. Offenders could face a fine, be issued with an ASBO or even be put in prison for a maximum of ten years.
People doing this damage probably never think of their behaviour as criminal, but they are breaking the law and they will be treated as criminals.

The police work with organisations across Lancashire to tackle anti-social behaviour (ASB) and below is a list of tools that the police can use to do this:

Fixed Penalty Notices
The police can issue a fixed penalty notice that has a fine ranging from £40 to £80. These may be issued for offences such as throwing fireworks or making a hoax 999 call.

Acceptable Behaviour Contracts (ABCs)
These are voluntary agreements made between the people responsible for committing the anti-social behaviour, the local police, or council. The contract outlines the behaviour that’s expected of the individual. It’s a valuable way of encouraging young adults, children and parents to take responsibility for unacceptable behaviour. If the contract is broken, the authority might then apply to the courts for an Anti-Social Behaviour Order (ASBO).

Anti-Social Behaviour Orders (ASBOs)
ASBO’s are a successful way of tackling anti-social behaviour. Local people work with the police and other organisations like the local council and the housing association to get as much information as possible on the trouble that’s being caused.

The evidence is then presented to a court, which then decides whether to issue an order. ASBO’s can be made against any person aged 10 or over whose behaviour is unacceptable and can last between 2 to 5 years. Break an ASBO and you could be arrested and end up in prison.

Dispersal Orders
The police can issue a dispersal order when local people are worried about people gathering in large groups and causing problems.

Closure Orders
The police and local authorities can close down any property that causes disorder or serious nuisance to the local community, usually by the use or supply of Class A drugs.

Hide Page